Buttermilk chicken has always been a favourite of many – the crispy outside and the juicy inside remind you about the comforts of home. Nobody can deny the finger-licking good classic that people, whether young or old, continue to enjoy through time.
Countless recipes of buttermilk fried chicken have conquered the hearts of many families throughout the world. However, buttermilk fried chicken is still quite hard to perfect. One should have patience and sufficient cooking skills to come up with the perfect dish. Of course, the right tools, such as your favourite non stick Wok or Frypan will come in handy.
If you are planning to serve buttermilk fried chicken any time soon, here’s a recipe for you. We have tried and tested this sinfully good concoction that you and your family will definitely love.
Note: The recipe will take a prep time of 2hours and 35minutes and a cooking time of 35minutes. Serves four hungry tummies.
- 4 teaspoons salt, divided
- One 2kg whole chicken, backbone removed, chicken cut into 8 portions
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 6 cups grapeseed oil or canola oil, for deep frying
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
For a tastier recipe, you may advance the marinating process by one day. Make sure to cover and refrigerate when doing so.
To marinate the chicken:
- Mix and massage ½ teaspoon of salt into the chicken portions.
- Combine the chicken portions and buttermilk in a large bowl, and turn the chicken to make sure that they are completely coated. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least two hours and up to one day.
To fry the chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Add enough oil to fill your Wok about halfway. Heat the oil over medium-high until it reaches a level of 180°C. Use a deep-fry thermometer to ensure exactness.
- In a large bowl – stir the flour, dry mustard, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and 2 teaspoons of salt to blend. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and water to blend.
- Working with one chicken portion at a time, lift the chicken from the marinade, allowing any excess to drip back into the dish. Dredge the chicken portion in the flour mixture to coat completely, while following it with egg wash. Dredge the coated chicken in the flour mixture again to coat completely.
- Working in two to three batches, carefully place the coated chicken pieces into the hot oil and cook for about 12 minutes. Turn as needed until they are golden and almost cooked through. Be extra careful when deep-frying with hot oil. Make sure children are not in the immediate vicinity, and be ready with precautions, such as a fire extinguisher, in case the hot oil triggers a flame.
- Using a skimmer, transfer the chicken portions to a rack set with a baking sheet to drain any excess oil. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the chicken pieces are cooked through, but still moist and juicy. Sprinkle with the remaining salt and serve.
Whether you’re having dinner or just planning to watch a movie at home, this recipe will surely be the new favourite of your loved ones. Serve with mashed potatoes, gravy and corn for the ultimate delight. Enjoy!
Westinghouse Small Appliances has a large and evergrowing range of quality non-stick cookware if you are in the market to upgrade your pots and pans. From enamelled cast iron pots to the best non-stick fry pan and woks with ceramic reinforced Greblon C3+ nonstick coating, we’ve got you covered.
Sources: World’s Best Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe. www.youtube.com
Old Fashioned Buttermilk Fried Chicken Crispy & Delicious. www.youtube.com
Southern Fried Chicken. www.curtisstone.com